Have you applied for Discretionary Housing Payment?

If you currently receive Universal Credit and have also received Discretionary Housing Payment, this would have expired on the 31st March 2019.

You need to reapply if you have not already done so – otherwise you will have a shortfall in your rent.

To apply, you need to provide the following to Scottish Borders Council as soon as possible:

• Completed Discretionary Housing payment Application Form. You can get these online or from your local Council Contact Centre. We also have these available at SBHA’s Head Office at Whinfield Road, Selkirk, or we can send one out to you – contact Debbie Mzee on 01750 724444, or email dmzee@sbha.org.uk

• Proof of your rent increase from 2019 – you can use the letter that you received from SBHA, informing you of the increase.

• Your most recent Universal Credit award letter showing that you are still in receipt of Universal credit, or a printout from the payments screen of your journal

These should be returned to any of SBC’s contact centres, or by post to Customer Services, Scottish Borders Council, Council HQ, Newtown St. Boswells, Melrose, TD6 0SA.

If you do not currently receive Discretionary Housing Payment, you may be eligible for this if you are currently receiving Universal Credit, have an extra bedroom and are paying the Bedroom Tax. You can apply with the information listed above.

Don’t forget, you need to notify the Department of Work and Pensions of any change to your circumstances as soon as possible.

For more information, see https://www.scotborders.gov.uk/info/20019/housing_benefits/454/discretionary_housing_payment

If you do not receive Universal Credit, you can still make a claim for Discretionary Housing Payment if you have an extra bedroom and receive Housing Benefit.

If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit, you need to let Scottish Borders Council know of any changes in your circumstances as soon as possible – this is to prevent any overpayments.